Winter GoGo Series
Large Ranking events
2021 Winter GOGO Series
Our Winter 2021 GOGO Season is going to look a little different this year due to COVID-19. To encourage social distancing and following CDC, state and OUSA guidelines, we are doing solo orienteering for our weekly series using an orienteering phone app. Results will still be tabulated and posted online, as well as accumulating points counted for the Chase event at the end of the season.
How do I participate:
1. Registration will be ONLINE ONLY. The cost is $30.00 for a season pass that is good for all 8 weeks. There will be NO on-site registration or individual weekly registration. Club membership is not required, but highly encouraged.
2. Registered participants will be emailed the password for the beginner and advance maps on the Friday night before the listed date for that week's park.
3. Print off the map at home and bring it to the park. Let someone know where you are going and when you are expected back.
4. Participants have a one week window to complete the courses at a time convenient for them. Starting at 10:00 AM on Saturday and going until dusk on the following Friday.
5. We will be using a different orienteering app for the winter called iOrienteering. Click on the button above for a link to info on the app. The app works on both Android and Apple devices and is free.
6. If more than one person is using the same phone (parents and kids), you can create Sub-users in the app. After the first person completes, log out of your user and log in with the other person's user name.
1. Follow Social Distance Guidelines: Allow at least 6' between yourself and any other people you might see at all times. By allowing people to go out and run the weekly meet on their own time, we hope to alleviate any overlap of people, but if you do happen to see people from the club you know who are out orienteering while you are out (or even other people out walking around), please be respectful of recommended social distancing, and give people appropriate space.
2. There Will Not Be a Meet Director On-Site: Unfortunately this is not the time to be social, but there will come a time again when we're able to do this.
3. There Are NO Flags/Electronic Controls: We've discussed the best way to facilitate these solo events, and elected to not put out flags with the electronic boxes. The meet director however will hang a 4"x 4" orange and white marker with a QR code at the control locations. Scan the QR code when you locate the control.
4. Qualifying For GOGO Season Awards: Participants will need to complete 4 of the Advance Courses to qualify for the Advance awards, and 4 of the Beginner Courses to qualify for the Beginner awards. These will be presented at The Chase finale event at the end of the season.
5. Let someone know where you are going and when you are expected to return.
Beginner Course: This is a short course perfect for beginners and families. The course will stick to mainly the trails.
Advance Course: This course is longer with some navigation skills required. In most parks, this course will be cross country through forest.
COURSES OPEN AT 10:00 AM ON THE SATURDAY THAT THEY START
What to Bring:
1. Wear something comfortable that you don't mind getting a little dirty!
2. Maps printed from home
3. Compass if you have one.
4. Water. Note that restroom facilities might be closed at some parks for winterizing of the pipes.
5. Whistle for emergencies.
6. Make sure your phone has a good charge prior to arrival. The app may use up to 30% battery life depending on the type of phone you have and what else is running in the background.
What is The Chase:
At the end of the season, we will do a competitive "chase." This is done in a reverse chase format. Points and times earned from the previous events will determine your start time. Slower navigators get an earlier start time and faster navigators get later start times. If the math works out with the SloCo calculation, then most participants will arrive to the finish around the same time. Awards are presented afterwards. Location, start times and cost for The Chase are to be determined closer to the event.
We are planning to hold The Chase event in April with the idea that COVID conditions will be better and allow for an in-person orienteering meet gathering.