March 17-19, 2022 at Camp Crooked Creek
Orienteering event is on Saturday, March 18th
Orienteering Workshops and Navigation Courses
Scroll to the bottom of the page for info on the Open to the Public courses
ORIENTEERING INSTRUCTION STATIONS - In the morning to learn or brush up on the skills needed to navigate cross country with a map and compass.
ORIENTEERING COURSES – Scouts will pair up and complete a one-mile orienteering course (good for the First Class rank requirement and Orienteering merit badge). They can do up to three courses (time permitting) to complete the 3 courses needed for Orienteering merit badge.
THE MAZE-O! – Scouts who have returned from the course can challenge themselves individually on the orienteering maze!
WORK ON REQUIREMENTS FOR:
Second Class Rank
First Class Rank
Orienteering Merit Badge
Please note – the Orienteering merit badge cannot be completed in one day – Scouts will have the opportunity to complete most of the requirements. The most practical way to complete the rest of the requirements is to participate in future OLOU events. Of course, scouts and troops can also complete the requirements on their own.
The cost is $25.00 per Scout and includes color printed maps, handouts and patch. The camping fee for adults is $10.00.
8:00 – 9:00 AM Registration open in main dining hall
9:00 AM Welcome Instructions
9:10 AM – 12:00 PM Orienteering Workshop training rotation by assigned color groups:
9:10 AM 9:45 AM 10:20 AM 10:55 AM 11:30 AM
1. Guided Map Hike Yellow Red Green Orange Blue
2. Contours Blue Yellow Red Green Orange
3. Compass Skills Orange Blue Yellow Red Green
4. Pace Counting Green Orange Blue Yellow Red
5. Map Reading & Symbols Red Green Orange Blue Yellow
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM Lunch on own (pack a lunch or eat at campsite)
1:00 PM Orienteering courses open!
Scouts may do as many course as they like and feel comfortable with.
1:30 PM Maze-O Opens!
4:00 PM Courses Close
ALL TROOPS MUST PRE-REGISTER BY MARCH 8, 2023.
THIS IS NOT A DROP OFF EVENT.
This event is geared for Scouts BSA (youth 11-17) participants
Participation in the Scout-O is limited to the first 150 participants due to limitations with the workshop capacities. NOTE: In 2019 & 2020, we hit 150 filled slots. We recommend getting your registration in early!
Registration is through the council's Tentaroo site (coming soon)
Camping is available for the weekend. Please select three campsites that your troop would prefer. Campsites will be assigned by staff based on number of participants.
The Rotary Shelter, Pool Shelter, Sales Shelter and Kiwanis Shelter are reserved for program.
PDF Fillable Form
It takes a lot of help to pull this event off. We are asking each unit to help by providing at least one adult volunteer.
To help volunteer, whether OLOU or BSA member, please contact Dan Curley at northernpoint <at> gmail <dot> com
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC COURSES:
OLOU will offer Open to the Public courses in the afternoon.
TIMES: 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM (control pick-up starts at 3:30 PM)
COURSES OFFERED: White (1.6K), Yellow (2.5K), Orange (3.6K), Brown (3.4K), Green (5.1K)
COST: $12.00 for OLOU Club Members, $15.00 for non-members
PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED BY MARCH 8th - Link coming soon
1. This is private property of the Boy Scouts of America. They have a NO PETS policy. Sorry, but furry friends have to stay home for this one.
2. Registration is in the main dining hall in the Camp Crooked Creek portion of the reservation.
3. Everyone will have to sign a second waiver for the property as well.
4. If you intend to go on the Green Course, PLEASE start close to 1:00 PM. It will be hilly!
5. Everyone must be back by 3:30 PM. Control pick-up will start promptly at 3:30 PM - and we will need some help with that.